I finally bought a screwdriver that was long enough to reach those pesky screws on my Tripp-Lite UPS units. Tonight I pulled everything apart, and it looks like I may be replacing twelve 12V 33Ah SLA batteries… Ugh.
Hooray for Amazon Prime! :-)
I will most likely only need to purchase two to four batteries to get the UPS units themselves back online. The other eight would be for the external battery packs, which aren’t required at this time. I imagine new batteries in the main UPS units will last long enough for my purposes.
I finally got off my butt and updated the theme for this here blog. Hooray!
No updates lately, which sucks. I’ve been busy with the new job, working on my Jeep (driving it as much as I am able), and basically running all over the place now that the kids are out of school for the summer.
Still need to set up the SPARC hardware and do something fun for the BurningServer site. I’m still trying to decide what to do about the battery backup situation, which will impact some of my SPARC based machines with dead NVRAM modules.
Looking to possibly finish part of my basement, so I can isolate myself from the noise from the dehumidifier, furnace, and computer equipment with louder fans. I believe it’s time I carved out a section of the house for myself!
My trusty set of UPS units and their batteries are long overdue for an overhaul. I’ve had trouble with one dealing with power spikes (it just shuts off instead of holding up the ONE server plugged into it), and the second unit wasn’t much better. Time to start shopping for replacement batteries, which will NOT be cheap.
Here’s what ONE of the complete UPS units looks like:
Since I was tearing most of my wiring out from behind my server shelves, I decided to revamp my networks. I now have pfSense running in a virtual machine, and routing all of the traffic for my public facing servers, as well as my wired internal network. Wireless is now stand-alone on the Mikrotik, and not connected in anyway to my internal wired/server network.